For students with print disabilities, an accessible reader is available. When this adjustment is made, the actual text of the page becomes available to assistive technologies, such as screen readers. See the section below entitled “Setting Up the Accessible Reader.”
The following set of instructions applies to Windows users, most screen readers (NVDA, JAWS, and System Access) and most web browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome.) Note: When the MODIFIER KEY is referred to -- regardless of the screen reader -- it is the CAPSLOCK KEY (laptop keyboard layout) or the INSERT KEY (desktop keyboard layout.) The respective screen readers refer to the MODIFIER KEY as the screen reader key (e.g. NVDA KEY, JAWS KEY, and System Access KEY.)
Setting Up the Accessible Reader
- Please ensure that the screen reader of your choice is turned ON/ENABLED.
- Using the web browser of your choice, please visit CourseSmart.com, login within your credentials
- Navigate to My Bookshelf to select the book you wish to read on the CourseSmart bookshelf. If you need help navigating the bookshelf, see the section below entitled “Selecting Book to Read”. Setting up the Accessible Reader is done within the book reader. The Selecting Book to Read section will get you into the reader to turn on the accessibility features.
- After the Reader has opened you can use the down arrow to get to the text
- “Select this Link if you would Like to Enable Accessibility Features” and arrow down to the next link or press U to get to the first unvisited link
- You will hear: “Yes, enable accessibility features Link”
- Press the spacebar to select the link
- “Accessibility Enabled”
- Accessibility will remain enabled for all books in your account until you contact Customer Support to ask them to turn off the accessibility option
Selecting Book to Read
- On the home page use INSERT+F6 to get a list of headings
- Select the heading My Bookshelf
- Select the link for My Bookshelf
- From the home page, go to Heading “My Bookshelf”
- Use INSERT+F7 to get a list of links. The list of links will include all of your book titles. Find the desired title and press enter.
- Use INSERT+F7 again and select the link Read Now by pressing enter
- Select My Rentals Heading
- Navigate to the HTML content in the reader
- If you have not already turned on the Accessible Read, go to the section Setting Up the Accessible Reader
Reading the Selected Book
- Press the letter “h” to go to the heading “Book text”. Use the MODIFIER KEY+DOWN ARROW to have the screen reader of your choice read the page, and press CTRL KEY to STOP reading. Note: To navigate by paragraphs, lines, words, or characters, please use the following: - CTRL+UP/DOWN ARROW KEYS for PREVIOUS/NEXT PARAGRAPH. - UP/DOWN ARROW KEYS for PREVIOUS/NEXT LINE. - CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW KEYS for PREVIOUS/NEXT WORD. - LEFT/RIGHT ARROW KEYS for PREVIOUS/NEXT CHARACTER.
- To navigate to the pagination controls (e.g., NEXT/PREVIOUS PAGE links), TAB/SHIFT+TAB until the screen reader of your choice reads “NEXT/PREVIOUS link,” and press ENTER to move to the NEXT/PREVIOUS page. Additionally, to jump to a specific page, CTRL+HOME to GO TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE, E for next EDIT FIELD, ENTER to activate the edit field, type in a page number, and press ENTER. Once on a new page, repeat step 3 to read and navigate.
Navigating the Reader and the Book
The reader can be viewed in full-page view, or the left-side of the page can be used to display the table of contents or the outline pane. When you enter the reader, the Table of Contents will be closed. You can jump directly to the desired page by using the Web Rotor and selecting the Go To form control. Alternatively, you can cursor forward to the Go To dialog box. Insert a page number, cursor forward to the button link and select the button.
Each book page has a Heading 1 called “Book Text”. The text of the book immediately follows the Book Text heading. If your book has advanced tagging, book headings will also be displayed. Book headings will be at levels 2 through 6 following the Book Text.
If you select the Table of Contents Link, the Table of Contents will open. The Table of Contents will consist of a list of chapters and sections that follow a Heading Level 2 preceding the “Book Text” Heading Level 1. Each entry in the table of contents list is displayed as Page Number followed by Section Name followed by Link. Selecting this link will open the book at this page number. The Table of Contents will remain open on the page even after you use a table of contents link to go to a new page. The Table of Contents remains present on the page until you close it using the close link immediately following the Table of Contents Level Two heading.
For additional information see: