Using Apple OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Speech for Text-to-Speech
The Macintosh text-to-speech option can be used to provide text-to-speech with the CourseSmart reader. This option is only available if the accessible reader feature is turned on. To turn on the accessible reader feature for your account, email email@example.com and request that the accessibility feature be turned on for Apple Text-to-Speech.
- Open System Preferences
- Click on the Speech & Dictation icon
- Check the "Text to Speech" tab and then select the “Speak selected text” box.
- Select the key combination you would like to use for initiating text-to-speech.
- When you are on the page you want read, use your mouse to select the area of text you want read out loud
- Click on the “Copy” button in the popup dialog
- Highlight the text within the Copy box by pressing Command-A
- Press the key combination you chose in the Speech control pane